Fossilized Tridacna Giant Clam on Iron Stand
En stock: 1
Black Friday Week: -15% Off The Entire Collection* and Free Delivery**
Ends 30th November 2023 *excluding Bespoke and Unique Items **in France Only
Fissilized Tridacna Gigantea Clam on an iron stand.
A magnificent unique piece, a rarity!
This fossil Giant Clam shell (Tridacna gigantea) was found at the Southeastern border of Kenya using GPR (Ground Penetrating Radar) as it was 3 meters deep. This clam species became extinct during the late Pleistocene period, around 180.000 years ago.The annual increase of the size of the shell has been estimated at 1cm / year (thesis by C. Lazareth. 2017).
So this 78cm wide shell is young for a Tridacna, but already impressive on a cofee table...It has been polished inside and slightly outside. Unlike today's Giant Clam species Tridacna gigantea is not a protected species. It is an extinct species.
Species subject to CITES regulations. Trade in specimens of these species is subject to particularly strict regulations so as not to endanger their survival, and should only be authorized under exceptional conditions.
Dimensions and Specifications - Shipment information
- Width: 78 cm
- Height: 54 cm
- Depth: 27 cm
- Weight (item packed): 30 kg
- Era: Actual Arts and crafts
- Style: Curiosities - Naturalia
- France Delivery (Out of Corsica and Dom Tom): Delivery by appointment on the ground floor, delay 3-4 weeks. For upstairs delivery, please contact us.
- EU Countries Delivery: By specialized carrier by appointment on the ground floor, delay 3-4 weeks. For upstairs delivery, please contact us.